“I feel one can say with some conviction that no man should willingly leave his home to fight, wound, maim or kill other men about whom he knows little and whom he certainly does not hate. When all men refuse to commit such follies the foundations of a true civilisation will have only just started to be laid.”
- Sam Sutcliffe, circa 1974 (extracted from his Memoir)

Sunday 16 October 2016

Sam, post Somme, begins his reinvention as an Army grocer – a buying trip to Le Havre produces no apple turnovers, but does lead him to… Marie-Louise.


Did a member of your family fight in WW1? Do write a guest blog contribution in Remembrance for FootSoldierSam… Please send by email Free Memoir to contributors.

For details of how to buy Sams full Memoir* in paperback or e-book & excerpted Gallipoli & Somme episode mini-e-books & reader reviews see right-hand column
All proceeds to British Red Cross
For AUDIO excerpts click Here  Join Foot Soldier Sam on Facebook HereDear all

A hundred years ago this week… On the Western Front, the German Army resisted the last onslaughts of the year on the Somme – and suffered fewer casualties October than the previous month – as the Battle Of Ancre (October 1-November 11) and the Battle Of Le Transloy (October 1-October 18 or November 5 according to different sources) bogged down in saturating rain. But British/French/South African forces advanced notably between the Schwaben Redoubt and Le Sars (October 21), at some points along the Albert-Bapaume road (16-22) and, south of the River Somme, between La Maisonette Château and Biaches (18).
    Also what’s known by the French (in translation I mean!) as the First Offensive Battle Of Verdun began (October 20-November 1), en route to recapturing the forts at Douaumont and Vaux.
    While the German Army continued its gradual turning of the tide against the Russian in Ukraine (post Brusilov Offensive), the Battle Of Transylvania (August 27-November 6) also moved in favour of the Central Powers and against the Romanians, supported by Russia. While an Austrian defeat at Aluta slowed them significantly in south Transylvania, the week’s main event, the Second Battle Of Cobadin, near the Black Sea coast, saw a Bulgarian-German-Ottoman force suffer 17,000 casualties but overcome the Romanians and Russians to occupy the port of Constanta (October 19-25).
    On the other hand, in Macedonia the Allies’ Monastir Offensive proceeded with the displaced Serbian Army driving the Bulgarians back to take the village of Brod while British troops repulsed a Bulgarian counterattack in the Doiran region.

Meanwhile, my father, under-age volunteer Corporal Sam Sutcliffe from Edmonton, north London, 18 on July 6, 1916, had fought with the Kensingtons Battalion from mid-May to September, at Gommecourt on the north end of the Somme Front, then around Leuze Wood and Morval to the south. About September 30 he was told his age had been officially noticed, he was still legally too young for the battlefield and he could take a break until his 19th birthday if he wished. He wished all right – though not without a sense of guilt. That same day, he left the Front for the British base camp at Harfleur.
     For Sam, a September 1914 volunteer, this followed a ’15-’16 winter at Suvla Bay, Gallipoli, with the 2/1st Royal Fusiliers (200 out of 1,000 avoided the lists of shot, shell and disease casualties). They’d sailed to France in late April, 1916, where – to their disgust – they were disbanded and transferred to other outfits… Sam to the Kensingtons and the Somme front line where, on July 1, they’d suffered 59 per cent casualties (see FootSoldierSam’s Blogs dated June 26 and July 3, 2016).

FOOTSOLDIERSAM SPEAKS
Last week, on his first morning at the Harfleur camp my father found himself excused squarebashing in favour of working as a grocer – a job whereof he knew nothing. But Archie Barker, a former acquaintance from his Gallipoli Battalion, had seen him arrive, fancied working with a familiar face and wangled him into a new role as buyer for his “unofficial” (yet lucrative) snack bar.
    Wholly unqualified, Sam went along with Archie’s bluff on the basis that it would probably be more enjoyable than anything else then on offer. He wrote in his Memoir:

‘I must have offered a show of reasonable confidence that I would at least try to do the job; the following morning, Archie told me I should make my first journey into town.
     Meanwhile, I cleaned up in the canteen, scrubbing the floor behind the counter, dusting the shelves. We remained open for an hour after the midday meal. Then close, clean up again, and reopen in the evening. I saw the job would be one of long hours. That didn’t worry me. The hours up at the Front were the full 24 hours of the day, sleeping when you could. But the conditions of life were so much better here; I could see I was going to live well, and certainly not be short of food.
     I intended to do the job honestly, be loyal to Archie, and help him make a handsome profit – even though I wondered where that profit would finish up. With the Captain Quartermaster, I supposed. As the new buyer for his business undertaking I had to go along and present myself to him – a large, florid type of Scot. I didn’t understand most of what he said, because of his broad accent and rapid speech. So I left not too certain he knew much about the business. Still, whatever his motives in starting the venture, in Barker and me he had two workers who would give of their best.

Up next morning, after I had breakfast, there on the road I saw a large open wagon pull up, two horses, the driver on a high seat above them. I didn’t even know where Le Havre was and told the driver so, but he said he’d done the trip many times. We set off and came to a main road with tramlines running along it in both directions. As we jogged along, I was amused to see how the French travelled at that time in single-deck trams, two coupled together, the passengers packed tight inside with men hanging on to the outside and one or two standing with feet on a handrail and clinging to the edge of the roof – on cobbled roads.
     We passed through a sort of suburban area and came to one of the main shopping streets, the Rue Tière. Here I had the driver stop, and I walked along, looking for possible goods to purchase. I had a large roll of notes, mainly of five francs each. I think I’m correct in saying that the franc was then 27 to the pound**. It didn’t matter really because the troops were paid in French money anyway.

Place Gambetta, central Le Havre, around 1900. Public domain, artist unknown.
     
Boulangerie” said the sign over one shop. I went in – a bakery: we’d need quite a lot of bread, Archie had told me. French loaves made a nice change from hard Army biscuits – though I will say that, where the Army bakers could fix up their ovens properly, they produced very good bread too. So I had to tell the French baker, who spoke no word of English, that I wanted 70 loaves. I knew little French, but what are fingers for?
     “Demain,” he said – that I understood. Today’s stock was sold. I asked him if he made apple turnovers, a special request from the troops… but that I couldn’t convey and I left him at that – I’d secured the bread anyway.
    Thereafter, I had tremendous good luck. We drove along the main street until I decided to take a turn to the right. Halfway down was a grocery. We went in: on our left, crates, sacks and boxes of vegetables and fruit, then the counter with shelves of groceries behind it. The smell of coffee predominated. A shady, quiet shop. On the right stood the cash desk, which almost every French shop had, no matter how small – a glass-fronted cubicle occupied by the cashier or assistant who would take your money and make an entry in the sales book. There sat my new-found friend-to-be Marie-Louise.’
** “… the franc was then 27 to the pound”: my father’s recollection sounds about right according to Chris Henschke – responding to a question on 1914-1918 invisionzone.com he wrote, “The rate of exchange for issues of cash to the troops of the Expeditionary Force was fixed at the rate of 5 francs = three shillings and seven pence for the month of July, 1916”. I have seen different figures, though. I’m guessing currency exchange rates were even more volatile in wartime than they are now.

All the best – FSS

Next week: Aaaah, Sam gets to know Marie-Louise – and her mother. Who thinks he’s très gentil. Which he is, as ever, keeping his mind on fruit and veg.

* In his 70s, Sam Sutcliffe wrote Nobody Of Any Importance, a Memoir of his life from childhood through Gallipoli, the Somme, Arras 1918 and eight months as a POW through to the 1919 Peace parade.

No comments:

Post a Comment