“I feel one can say with some conviction that no man should willingly leave his home to fight, wound, maim or kill other men about whom he knows little and whom he certainly does not hate. When all men refuse to commit such follies the foundations of a true civilisation will have only just started to be laid.”
- Sam Sutcliffe, circa 1974 (extracted from his Memoir)

Sunday 8 November 2015

Sam dodges Turkish snipers and mysterious “big, black bangers”, sees his first ever warplanes, and the seasoned professionalism of the Royal Scots brings him to tears…

For details of how to buy Sams full Memoir in paperback or e-book & new excerpted Gallipoli episode mini-e-book & reader reviews & info re upcoming readings see right-hand column
All proceeds to British Red Cross

For AUDIO excerpts click Here  Join Foot Soldier Sam on Facebook Here

Dear all

A hundred years ago this week… the enormous Russian Army, so battered for so long, had a successful week on the Eastern Front, driving the German Army back on the Styr river (Nov 9), Chartorysk (10, Ukraine) and Riga (14th, Latvia)… but also much further south-east pushing towards Teheran, Persia (12th), and defeating Turkish and German opposition en route.
    As the Western Front subsided into winter, the French repelled a German attack in Artois (14, a battle supposed to have been over on the 4th), but further south the 4th Battle Of The Isonzo began (Nov 10-Dec 2) with the Italian Army advancing on the Austro-Hungarian near Gorizia and the invasion of Serbia proceeded with the Bulgarian/German Kosovo Offensive driving the Serb Army towards Albania, while French and British troops assisted the retreat and held the line around the Greek border in Salonika.
    Meanwhile, rather significantly, at Gallipoli, Lord Kitchener arrived (Nov 10), met C-in-C Monro and the commanders at Helles, Suvla Bay and Anzac, and as a result recommended evacuation to the British Cabinet, who agreed it should start in December.
    However, about six weeks into their stint at Suvla and entirely unaware of these developments, the thousand men of the 2/1st City Of London Battalion, Royal Fusiliers, including my father, Lance Corporal Signaller Sam Sutcliffe from Edmonton, north London (still under-age at 17) and a couple of his pals, continued their by then attritional struggle with the Turks… but also fatigue induced by poor food, water shortage, disease, lack of sleep, and the emotional wear and tear of fear and the constant effort to keep it in check…

FOOTSOLDIERSAM SPEAKS
Last week, in the Signallers’ hole up on the hilltop overlooking the Turkish front line, young Sam executed his cunning plan to end his near-blind comrade, family man Bill Jackson’s participation in the campaign by “accidentally” kneeling on his glasses while he slept. Then his hilltop neighbours, the Essex Regiment machine-gun team, relieved the increasing gloom emanating from his moany new companion Harry Green by scrounging a whole leg of beer, whereon they feasted for some days – nicely easing the hungry ache the poor provisions usually left them with.
    Now Sam decides to break the monotony of relentless 24-hour 7-days-a-week duty the two Signallers shared by going off on a small trans-battlefield expedition (sorry, the non-date-tied rhythm of may father’s writing threw the “100 years ago” measure a little out synch and he’s still in late October here):

One quite pleasant day around the end of October, I had planned to walk some distance across country to make a request to the Quartermaster of our Battalion. But, that morning, the Turks commenced a huge bombardment.
     While all the familiar field guns flung their shrapnel at us, additional bigger reports high up in the hills were followed by large explosions among our positions. This provoked the general belief that a great enemy attack would follow – the attempt to drive us into the sea would take place that day. The bombardment continued for hours… eventually to our puzzlement. We had expected it would stop suddenly, signalling the start of the Turk infantry advance.
     Eventually, I decided to set off on my errand and safely reached one end of Essex Ravine, where our Headquarters sheltered, and dropped down into a communication trench which would take me in the right direction. But just before I reached the end of the trench, a huge shell exploded above me. It baffled me because, although it exploded in the air, it produced black smoke and all the shrapnel shells I’d so far seen gave white smoke.
     I never did learn what the difference signified, but I wondered and waited, feeling another of these big, black bangers must be on its way – and, while I paused, I thought with some dread about how shells of many shapes and sizes were booming and crashing over the whole countryside, and about the large number of casualties our Army and the Anzac boys must be suffering… Getting them all down to the beaches, on to lighters, and then transferring them all to hospital ships, would be almost as difficult as the original landings…
     The next black shell exploded above and I commenced counting. When I reached 60 I almost decided to stop, but then a third one went off and I started running, counting still, and, well before 60, I had jumped out of that trench, turned sharp left and joined our chaps in the shelter of Essex Ravine.
     This being our Battalion HQ, the lucky people there had covers over their holes. I had come to ask the Quartermaster if we two, stationed on the hill with the machine gunners, could be attached to the men of the Second Essex Regiment for rations, to save men having to bring the stuff up to us two Royal Fusiliers separately. But, while we talked, an unusual thing happened.
     High above us, shells exploded and I saw that, near the white puffs of smoke, were two flying machines, their wings somewhat swept backwards like a large bird’s. Although I had never seen a warplane in action before, I was able to recognise them as German Taubes*
     Only a year or two earlier, I had seen my first aeroplanes taking part in a race from London to Manchester and back – now the things had already been adapted to combat uses. Moments later, various oddments from the shells buzzed down among us and went phut as they hit the ground. I told a man nearby that I’d recently heard a nose cap from one of those high shells had struck a man in the back of his chest and come out through his belly, but this cheery piece of information only provoked a disbelieving laugh.’

There follows one of those moments where my feeling, as editor but also son, comes down to something slack-jawed and simple like, “My Dad!? He did that!?”. But I guess soldiers were and are doing these things all the time – I mean running across battlefields in plain sight of the enemy, sort of terrified, sort of confident they’ll get away with it…

‘My little bit of business at HQ being finished satisfactorily, I paid attention once more to the near end of the communication trench into which I must run and jump. Sure enough, the black devil was still bursting above that point periodically, but my counting again enabled me to get in and away without injury. I did my open-country run, using whatever shelter I could find along the way, then slipped back into the long communication trench which led, eventually, to our hilltop with the machine gunners.
     This time that communication trench yielded a strange experience; on my right, at a spot I hadn’t previously noticed, an opening caught my eye. I peered in and it revealed a sight almost unbelievable to me: a rather wide, roofed trench, with a long, narrow table, on each side of it a plank seat occupied by men who looked remarkably clean and spruce; on the table, their enamel mugs and plates, knives and forks, symbols of civilisation and decency. They did not appear to see me, perhaps because the light from the candles placed at intervals restricted vision to things close by. I recall standing there, tears, for some emotional reason, streaming down my face… although I was now 17 years old. The difference in the way of life of those trained, experienced soldiers, and that of myself and most of my Territorial comrades was never so apparent to me as at that moment.
     Of course, it all started at the top. Their officers were all career military men, capable of assessing the usefulness of every single thing, place or circumstance within their purview. The very disciplines to which the best of them submitted and which they practised in peacetime too made them admirable leaders when war surrounded their lives with discomforts and dangers. The amateur officer would try to carry out basic standing orders to the very letter, regardless of the health and comfort of his men and the fact that wounds and sickness were daily reducing the numbers of those he commanded; so his surviving men would have to do longer and harder stints and themselves become gradually reduced to mindless, humourless automatons.
     Much of the routine stuff wasted energy at a time when all signs indicated a position of stalemate, be it only temporary. The good officer would use such periods by allowing – or ordering – men otherwise unoccupied to give attention to personal hygiene, improvement of habitation, sanitation and the procurement of maximum rations.
     Memory may play me false here, but I seem to remember that those fine men I glimpsed in that side-trench, who conspicuously insisted on preserving some of the decencies amid conditions which defeated less efficient soldiers, were members of the Royal Scots Regiment** I learned that the small number seated in their improvised dining hall were all that remained of a full Battalion who did marvellous work in the earliest landing on that Turkish peninsula.
     I left the long communication trench when it neared the earlier-mentioned Borderers’ Gully and took the opportunity to search the hole I had shared some time back in hope of finding my sadly missed flageolet***. But no luck.
     Moving up the gully there, you had to pass through two points exposed to snipers on a higher hill ahead. But that day they appeared to be looking elsewhere, perhaps watching the shell bursts going off all over our area. I rejoined my unsmiling assistant on the hill among our Brigade’s machine gunners. No casualties there, but much speculation as to the reason for the massive bombardment…
     At dusk, the hideous noise suddenly ceased.
     On duty that evening, I received a message directed to all units by Army Command HQ. It stated that every available piece of Turkish artillery fired continuously during that day and that our casualties resulting from it were not too heavy; in fact, it said, only one man was injured and he damaged an ankle when jumping into a trench for shelter. All that firing, that huge waste of ammunition, had been in celebration of the last day of the Feast of Ramadan****
* Taube: monoplane fighter/bomber/surveillance aircraft, manufactured from 1910 onwards; apparently Germany’s first mass-produced military plane.
** Several Battalions of Royal Scots did fight at Gallipoli; from the reference to them being involved in the earliest landings, it seems the men who impressed my father may have been members of 1/5th Battalion (Queen’s Edinburgh Rifles), part of the Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment), see http://www.1914-1918.net/royalscots.htm
*** See Blog 67 October 18, 2015.
**** All sources I’ve checked suggest HQ was misinformed; Ramadan 1915 ran from July 13 or 14 to August 12.

All the best – FSS

Next week: The terrible Gallipoli blizzard – Sam goes begging for food, Harry goes delirious with frostbite.

No comments:

Post a Comment